Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Trail Birthday

Sorry it has been so hard to post updates. I'm going to include a few photos here, and then provide a more detailed update this coming weekend when I will meet Anne and our friends the Reicherts for a zero (miles) day at Fontana Dam.
I turned 61 yesterday. It worked out that I came into the Nantahala Outdoor  Center early yesterday and I was able to spend it in the lap of luxury... restaurant and hostel. My trail buddies Trillium, Sloth and Ramses treated me to a meal with all the trappings... they are great folks!
Crossing into NC on the 28th was a kick... first of 14 states down! Right after getting into NC you are faced with the two steepest climbs thus far. I had to laugh at Chainsaw's comment (slightly revised to PG format)... it's like they say welcome to NC... but then "we hope you slide back into Georgia!" Thank goodness for the trekking poles!
I'm including in the photos one of Brad and Eric... the trail magic buddies that Anne mentioned in an earlier post.  So I am off north once again, perhaps into some rain and sleet and looking forward to the warmer coat and gloves that will be available once I meet up at Fontana Dam.


Early morning snow near Franklin, NC.
Tom's first trail angels, Brad and Eric-they provided a
 shuttle and gave him some leftover trail food.
      

Evening campfire at one of the campgrounds
State line Georgia and North Carolina

 




1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday my brother, I am glad to know that things are going well, Shirley and I will continue to pray for you. I will be checking up on you later! Hasta luego mi Hermano en Cristo.

    ReplyDelete