Friday, March 21, 2014

My First 20+ Mile Day

Big Bald in The Cherokee National Forest


The motivation for going so long was simply to put myself in a position to meet Anne before noon the next day in Erwin.  Otherwise, I am not a mile counter.  The views from Big Bald were just as beautiful as the picture indicates... although that one is not one I took.  I met a local at the top, and he pointed out some of the sights.
It is interesting to reflect on Winter hiking, since we are now officially into Spring.  There are many advantages of Winter hiking including:
  • Unobstructed views of distant mountains, since the trees have not leafed out yet.
  • Generally, plenty of water available and a little less water intake needed since one does not sweat so much.
  • Temperatures that encourage you to "go"... and you can always be comfortable with the right clothing while moving.
  • The pesky critters (bugs and snakes) are not out yet.
Among the disadvantages of course, is that the forests and balds are still largely dormant.  Max Patch is a large bald that some people believe is the most beautiful spot on the AT when it is fully in bloom with broad vistas in all directions.  However, in Winter it can look like the video clip that I took while up there in windy, socked in conditions.

I am glad that it is now officially Spring.  We have noted some hopeful signs, like the appearance of butterflies and the beginning signs of bloom.  Here is what I believe is the first trillium I have spotted (somewhat out of focus).

No comments:

Post a Comment