Monday, March 17, 2014

Done with the Smokies!


After having been cooped up in Gatlinburg for so long, I was anxious to make tracks.  I only spent one more night in the northern part of the Great Smokies before leaving that park boundary on the second day and making it to the Standing Bear hostel a few miles north.  Standing Bear is a very unique hostel as you can see in the video above.
I was the only hiker there that night!  Co-proprietor Curtis showed me around.  There were separate buildings for the bunkhouse, a kitchen/laundry area, a shower, and a composting privy.  Having the entire bunkhouse to myself seemed like a real luxury.

Manager Rocket invited me to join him and his buddy Giant (former U. of Minn. basketball player) at the fire they had built, after I showered.  They served me up the best two grilled hot dogs I have ever had in my life.... and I enjoyed conversation with them around the fire.

One of the unique aspects of this hostel is that the clothes washing (free) is done by hand in a basin using a washboard.  I ran my clothes through one of those hand-crank wringers before placing them into the dryer.  I learned a skill I had never had before.

By the way... the cost for my bunkhouse stay: $15.  An incredible value.

No comments:

Post a Comment