Sunday, February 9, 2014

Trail Name

One of the traditions of thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail is to take on a "trail name".  This is a name by which you are known by your fellow thru hikers.  Some hikers choose a trail name, and others are given a trail name.  The latter group often takes on a name related to the first blunder or dumb thing that they do on the trail.  Knowing that I will have many blunders and do a few dumb things on the trail, I don't think I want that to follow me for the whole experience... so I have chosen my trail name.  I chose "mexbuk-i" (pronounced "mex-buckeye").  That was a user ID I used way back when all sorts of web applications were first starting to require user IDs and passwords.  But I chose it because it said a little about who I was. The buckeye part refers to my state of birth... and to the team from The Ohio State University that I am a huge fan of.  The "mex" refers to Mexico, which is the place where my first memories of the formative years came from.  I lived in Mexico from age 4 to 16.  I still love the Hispanic community and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment